A skin cancer screening is a visual exam of the skin to check it for moles, birthmarks, or other marks that are unusual in color, size, shape, or texture. Certain unusual marks may be signs of skin cancer, which is the most common type of cancer in the United States. The most common types of skin cancer are basal cell and squamous cell cancers. These cancers rarely spread to other parts of the body and are usually curable with treatment. A third type of skin cancer is called melanoma. Melanoma is less common than the other two, but more dangerous because it’s more likely to spread. Most skin cancer deaths are caused by melanoma. A skin cancer screening can help find cancer in its earlier stages when it’s easier to treat.
How Do Screenings Help?
Screenings are used to look for signs of skin cancer, not used to diagnose cancer.
If cancer is suspected after a screening, a test called a biopsy will also be needed to find out whether you have cancer.
Why Do I Need Skin Cancer Screening?
You may need skin cancer screening if you have certain risk factors.
Risk factors for skin cancer include having:
- Light skin tone
- Blond or red hair
- Light-colored eyes (blue or green)
- Skin that burns and/or freckles easily
- History of sunburns
- Family and/or personal history of skin cancer
- Frequent exposure to the sun
- A Large number of moles
What Happens During a Skin Cancer Screening?
If you are getting screened by one of our skilled staff at Rosewood, your screening may include the following steps:
- You will remove all your clothing and we will give you a gown to wear.
- We will give you a head-to-toe exam, including your scalp, behind your ears, fingers, toes, buttocks, and genitals. The exam may be embarrassing, but it’s important to get checked, as skin cancer can occur anywhere on your skin.
- We may use a special magnifying glass with a light to look at certain marks.
- The exam should take 10-15 minutes.
Some of the treatments offered at Rosewood for cancer include:
- Basic Derm
Skin Cancer Screening in Mt. Pleasant, MI
At Rosewood Healthcare & Medical Spa, we care for our patients wholeheartedly, ensuring they have the best experience possible from start to finish. If you’re due for a skin cancer screening, contact Rosewood Healthcare & Medical Spa today. To request an appointment, call (989) 775-3823 or fill out the form below.